St Paul’s is an Anglican Church, part of the Anglican Diocese of Sydney. We hold that the Bible is the inspired word of God. As a people who have received the grace of God, we are keen to proclaim the Good News of salvation that can only be found in Christ. Hence we see ourselves as a ‘lighthouse shining back into our community’. (cf Matthew 5:16)
As the Body of Christ that gathers at St Paul’s, we are keen to express our fellowship and love of God with each other and into our community. We work hard at being a ‘Welcoming Church’. This means we seek to be inclusive by providing for people with disabilities and encouraging everyone to utilise their gifts and abilities in serving the Church and wider community.
At St Paul’s we enjoy singing – all three services express this enjoyment in ways that are applicable to each service.
The first church building on Pearce’s Corner, Wahroonga, was erected in 1862. The simple wooden building was replaced by a stone building in 1881 as the area became more settled. Further enlargement took place in 1900. At this time, roads were unsealed, and leadership had to be given from more settled areas such as Gordon and Willoughby. In time, the Anglican churches at Hornsby, Berowra, Waitara, Normanhurst, and St Andrew’s Wahroonga, were to develop out of the original St Paul’s church.
With growth in population, made possible by the railway, St Paul’s grew in numbers. Strong links were forged with Barker College and Abbotsleigh School. Peter Rabbit Preschool was founded and still occupies property on the church premises. To accommodate the growing attendances, the church building was extended and reoriented in the 1980s.
For a more comprehensive understanding of the history of St Paul’s, there are two publications on the history of St Paul’s Wahroonga:
You are God’s Building, A History of St Paul’s Church Wahroonga, 1862-1987 by Raymond Hobbs
A celebration of 150 years of Ministry at St Paul’s Wahroonga 2012 by Nola Lee